- There are 4 key habits you want to practice that will help you in all areas of life, but especially in your job.
- These 4 habits are showing up on time, doing what you say you are going to do, finishing what you start, and saying please and thank you.
- Practicing these 4 key habits will help you gain opportunities and make connections because people love to work with others who practice these habits.
You have to have KASH. I’m not talking about money here, although, that’s always nice to have too! The KASH I am talking about stands for knowledge, attitude, skills, and habits. I am going to discuss the habits piece in KASH.
About twenty years ago The Strategic Coach® Program introduced The Four Referability Habits™ to me. These four great habits are: show up on time, do what you say you’re going to do, finish what you start, and say please and thank you. Let’s dive in to each of these.
- Show up on time – I don’t know about you, but I don’t like hanging around waiting for people, especially if they are notorious for being late. It doesn’t feel right, and it certainly doesn’t feel good. It’s just not good business.
- Do what you say you are going to do – In business, and in the world in general, it’s tough. A lot happens and you can’t always get things done. But if you said you are going to do something, then you’ve got to do it. That may mean you renegotiate a timeframe to get it done, but don’t just let it pass by and assume you can do it any time you want.
- Finish what you start – There are things in life that you will start that you’ll find you can’t finish. Get help, delegate it, do something to make sure the commitment you made to get it started, is followed through to the finish.
- Say please and thank you – There are a lot of people out there doing things for you. Just say thank you. Don’t say, “No problem” or something like that. Finish it with a thank you. And if you are asking for something from someone else, even if you are busy, remember to say please!
If you do these four things, you are going to get continuously referred. You’re going to get more opportunities and more connections than you ever thought possible. You’ll always have a job because people love working with other people who practice The Four Referability Habits™.
Until next time, enjoy!
*The Four Referability Habits™ registered trademark, protected by copyright and integral concepts of The Strategic Coach, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used with written permission. www.strategiccoach.com